Dienstag, 6. September 2011

Montevideo, Uruguay

So, I decided against booking in El Viajero in Montevideo and save 15% and booked another hostel that was even cheaper - for a reason!
When I came there I noticed it was shit, kinda ramshackle. Some of the things were not as described, e.g. the lockers that didn't lock and hence do NOT deserve the name "lockers". The beds were crap and so were the sheets. The photographer made a great job for the photos on hostelworld.com!
I decided to cancel the last 2 of the 3 nights and get a bed in ... El Viajero, without the 15%. Thank god, I was able to do so and get my money back for the remaining 2 nights. The staff of the hostel was great. I had a great evening there.
... I think I wrote this all, but I can't find the blog entry.

I didn't do much the first day, jsut went to the seaside.


Sunday the weather was shit so I planned the remainder of my trip and decided to go for are run … as soon as it stopped raining. But it got worse, I actually never heard thunder that loud!! But at around 2 PM it was ok so I went for a run along the coast for an hour. Was great. Haven’t been running in 3 months.
The trip is plannd. More or less. Now I have to reschedule my flight and pay a fee of €150. I am a bit angry because I don’t understand why I had to book a return flight. Initially I planned to get just a flight to Ecuador and then book a return flight as soon as I know from where and when. But the travel agent said that flight companies wouldn’t take me if I hadn’t the return flight - because the companies would have to take me back in case I didn’t get the visa – and I had to book a flight within 3 months/90 days as it was the maximum for the visa … I needed a proof that I leave the country in that period. A flight or a bus ticket would be fine. Crap!!! No border control EVER asked for a proof. You just have to write down how long you stay (90days) and what you will be doing in their country (traveling). Annoying. Now I have to pay the flipping 150€ and decide for a date. Grrrrrrrrr.

Yesterday (Monday) is my last day in Montevideo and Uruguay. I have to catch a bus to Rosario at 7.30 PM. The weather is fine today. Blue sky. So, I rented a bike. Unfortunately ALL bikes from my hostel are broken, so they sent me to … Che Lagarto, my old hostel … damn. But the people there are very cool. Just the hostel sucks. The bike as well. They had two to choose from. The better looking one had a loose front wheel, the other was ok. Not more. I could ride it, as I had no choice. It made its job, not well, but it carried me. So, I cycled along the Rambla – a road along the coastline/beach. It was very nice. Loads of people are going for a run there. I could actually live here. I wonder how hot the summers are. I mean, it’s cold here, at night, and it’s the end of winter, but during a sunny day it’s very nice.

In Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay Mate is the ONE big thing. In Paraguay people carried their thermo bottles in their hands, in Uruguay people put the bottles in their armpits and carry the mate-cup in the hand (same arm). It seems to be a religion and people seem to learn how to carry it from when they are little. I guess I will have to try and bring a mate-cup home when I am in Buenos Aires! … but I am not running through the streets with it ;-)

Keine Kommentare: